Please share this with friends of yours who may not know – It’s good to know about Beingdense
Six facts about dense breast tissue 👭
1. 40% of women have dense breast tissue and approx 95% of women do not know their breast density
2. Breast density is one of the strongest predictors of the failure of screening mammography to detect cancer
3. Screening mammography misses cancer in dense breasts
4. Breast density is a predominant breast cancer risk factor
5. High breast density is a greater risk factor than having a first degree relative with breast cancer
6. The vast majority of women are unaware of the density of their breasts. Less than one in 10 women learn about their dense breast tissue from their doctor
Women with dense breasts may go on to discover interval breast cancers (cancers discovered in between mammogram screenings), these tumours are often more advanced, invasive, late stage and will require more aggressive treatment and surgical intervention.
Breast density is also an indicator for contralateral breast cancer – developing cancer in both breasts.
Adding Ultrasound to screening mammography in women with dense breasts will increase detection up to 80%
Detection of these invasive cancers, missed by mammography, is crucial – when they are small, node negative and at an EARLY stage.
Currently Irish women are NOT routinely informed of their breast density at their screening mammogram and consequently not routinely offered supplemental ultrasound screening.
Irishwomen would like breast screening providers to inform accordingly-
#Your recent mammogram shows you have dense breast tissue
#We advise you to request an ultrasound breast screening –
It is now Law in 36 American states to inform women of their breast density and there are advocacy groups in U.K. Canada, Australia, Europe, China and Scandinavia.
In March 2019 the FDA determined that all women should be informed about their Breast Density at the time of their Mammogram screening, in both the lay person notification to the woman and the notification to the woman’s physician.
Ladies spread the word #breastdensity
Smart women 👭👭 know about Being Dense
Like us on Facebook too 👭